Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Twelve Worlds SF&F anthology report

On April 16th thirteen other independent authors and I released a science fiction and fantasy anthology titled Twelve Worlds. It has 14 different short stories for a total of 80,000+ words. The author proceeds from sales will be donated to Reading is Fundamental, the largest literacy charity in the US.



It’s available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords for $2.99.

When it was released several contributors blogged about it and found some people to do online reviews.

We didn’t spend any money on advertising.

We’ve sold 158 copies so far.



You can see the initial spike when all us authors bought a copy, but after that it’s been pretty consistent over time at around 1 copy sold a day on average.

I’m surprised that the book isn’t doing a little bit better. With 14 different authors blogging and telling friends I would have thought we’d have more than a couple sales a day.

It’s clear that people are not finding Twelve Worlds. It’s not in any top 100 lists. This is the same problem my YA book, The Elemental Odyssey, is facing. People aren’t finding the book so they can’t buy it, and because people aren’t buying the book others can’t find it.

Starting this month I’m conducting another advertising experiment, this time for The Elemental Odyssey. I’m spending $500 over two months to get 400,000 ad impressions on a website that I believe is pre-disposed to be interested in my book. I’ll give a report on this experiment in a couple weeks.

If the advertising for The Elemental Odyssey works, then it might be worth it to find a similarly targeted advertising venue to market Twelve Worlds. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Stay tuned!

And if you haven’t bought Twelve Worlds yet, why not give it a try? 14 stories for $2.99 is a great deal!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck. I hope people do find EO, I think it's a great bit of storytelling.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deirdra, Thanks! I will check it out this long holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony, thanks! On the plus side I sold 5 copies of the book today. A daily record!

    ReplyDelete